Under direction of the Assistant Sheriff – Support Services, directs/manages the Sheriff’s Human Resources, Background and Records units; provides advice and counsel to the Sheriff's executive staff on human resources/criminal records matters of impact, as well as human resources/criminal records policy, management, and planning; develops goals and strategic plans; formulates and implements Human Resources/Records policies, and performs related work as required.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in human resources, program management, and supervising and leading staff. The ability to anticipate problems and develop proactive solutions, provide positive leadership through staff development, foster teamwork, a strong work ethic, and the ability to collaborate with staff and County departments is important.
EDUCATION, TRAINING & EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of education and experience which would demonstrate possession of the required knowledge, skills, abilities, and competencies listed below. An example of a qualifying education and experience is:
Education: Possession of a bachelor's degree in business administration, public administration, human resources management, industrial psychology or related field, AND,
Experience: Six (6) years of recent and progressively responsible experience in human resources management in a civil service environment, including significant responsibility supervising professional-level staff.
- A graduate degree in business administration, public administration or a related field
- Law enforcement human resources experience
- Make sound and accurate decisions under pressure;
- Persuasively communicate findings and recommendations to a variety of audiences;
- Provide leadership and direction to subordinate managers/professional staff;
- Communicate clearly and concisely in both written and verbal forms;
- Skillfully gain and maintain credibility with executive staff, managers, staff and labor groups.