The City of Thousand Oaks has an excellent opportunity for a Senior Planner with a diverse background in the field of city planning who has demonstrated the ability to effectively work within all related sub-disciplines, including development planning, advance planning, environmental planning, and open space planning.
We are seeking an innovative, collaborative individual to conduct a variety of planning duties with competence and professionalism. The Senior Planner must be an excellent team player with a track record of excellent judgement who has demonstrated initiative and been successful in improving processes.
The Senior Planner will assume a lead role in complex advance planning, development projects, including residential, mixed-use, commercial, industrial, and institutional proposals and may assist in the preparation of environmental documents (both internally and through planning consultants). The Senior Planner may also process legislative applications, such as zone changes and General Plan amendments, and occasionally assist with open space planning/natural resource management projects.
- Prepare housing element updates, General Plan updates, and environmental documents in accordance with CEQA requirements, including Mitigated Negative Declarations and Environmental Impact Reports
- Manage and process applications for complex development projects with minimal supervision
- Consult and advise property owners, architects, engineers, contractors and the general public regarding City policies, standards, and procedures
- Prepare written communications including staff reports and analytical reports
- Present information to City Council, Planning Commission, and other groups
- Process legislative cases such as Municipal Code Amendments, zone changes, and General Plan amendments
- Assist with open space/natural resource management projects
The ideal candidate should possess:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in urban planning or a closely related field
- Five or more years of responsible professional level planning experience including two years at a level comparable to an Associate Planner with the City of Thousand Oaks
- Knowledge of, and experience preparing or coordinating, the preparation of documents in compliance with the California Environmental Quality Act
- Experience applying urban design principles and/or architectural design guidelines
- Development project experience
- A participative management style focused on excellent customer service
- A passion for City planning with demonstrated experience in process improvement
- Ability to research, analyze, interpret and present data
- Excellent time management, organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent problem solving, decision making, planning and organizational skills
- Ability to work very effectively and collaboratively with many people inside and outside the City organization
- A valid Class C California driver’s license
View the recruitment and apply online at www.toaks.org/jobs