Do you enjoy working in a fun, team-based environment? Consider a career with the City of San Carlos! We have a great opportunity for a Senior Accountant in our Finance division. Located within walking distance to Caltrain and great restaurants, working for the City of Good Living will give you opportunities other agencies just can’t offer!
- Prepares journal entries for posting to the general ledger and subsidiary accounts on a monthly, annual and adhoc basis.
- Prepares accounts and the financial system for year-end close and plays a significant part during annual audits including working directly with external auditors, managing and responding to information requests, preparing analyses and schedules and contributing towards successful completion of the audit and production of the Annual Comprehensive Financial Report.
- Participates in the biannual budget and mid-year review processes; prepares projections, analyses and schedules where needed, and creates budget amendments in the financial system as needed.
- Prepares and issues monthly budget and accounting reports and fund balance projections on a timely basis.
- Prepares and submits financial reports and other information required by outside agencies, including the City, Redevelopment Agency, and Special Assessment District's annual report of financial transactions to state controller, annual state street report, federal employment survey, and other reports as required.
- Coordinates with claim administrator and files claims for state-mandated cost reimbursements.
- Provides technical accounting and financial support to other sections of the department.
- Performs fixed asset accounting, including maintaining accurate and up-to-date fixed asset records and providing thorough statistics for capital and operating budgets.
- Maintains capital improvement project records, reflecting the accurate year-to-date project costs.
- Develops effective procedures for financial record keeping and accounting systems.
- Makes journal entries to ensure up-to-date and accurate accounting records are maintained.
- Prepares monthly balance sheet reconciliations to keep track of account balances and transactions.
- Prepares timely and accurate monthly bank reconciliations for checking and investment accounts.
- Assists with writing staff reports and analyses for City Council items.
- Keeps current on new regulations and accounting standards, and implements new procedures to comply.
- Maintains effective working relationships with all levels of staff and with the public.
- Provides cover for other staff and assists in special assignments as needed.
Job-Related and Essential Qualifications
Knowledge of principles, practices, methods, and techniques used in governmental accounting, public finance administration and budgeting; spreadsheet software and financial systems used in government agencies; federal and state regulations and guidelines as they pertain to municipal finance; municipal taxation and revenue management.
Ability and skills to learn quickly and understand complex and technical accounting concepts; compile and analyze financial reports; make accurate revenue estimates; prepare clear, comprehensive, and accurate reports and statements; examine and verify financial documents; learn, retain, interpret and apply financial regulations and policies; establish, maintain and foster cooperative working relations with others contacted in the course of work; foster teamwork within the department.
Education and Training
Sufficient education and experience to satisfactorily perform the duties of this classification. A typical qualifying background would be four years of governmental accounting and auditing experience, and a bachelor's degree with major course work in accounting. CPA certification highly desirable.