Revered former mayor of San Leandro, Tony Santos passed away earlier this week.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: OCTOBER 23, 2018 AT 11:59 P.M.
APPLY ONLINE ON OUR CITY WEBSITE www.huntingtonbeachca.gov/jobs
The City is seeking an experienced Pest Control Specialist who, under general supervision, applies chemicals, herbicides, insecticides and various pesticides to trees, shrubs, grass and a variety of plants and soils in and around City properties and facilities. This position requires a California Qualified Applicator Certificate (QAC) or Qualified Applicator License (QAL). Applications will be accepted from applicants that currently possess a license from the Structural Pest Control Board. The selected incumbent must possess or be able to obtain a QAC or QAL within six (6) months of appointment.
Reports to: Landscape Supervisor
Differs from Maintenance Service Worker in that Pest Control Specialist performs landscape duties specific to the eradication of pests while Maintenance Service Worker performs a variety of semi-skilled tasks in the maintenance of City parks, roadways and other public areas.
Any combination of education, training, and experience that would likely provide the knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform in the position is qualifying. A typical combination includes:
- Laws, regulations, and basic principles of safe and effective pesticide use governing the management and eradication of pests affecting landscape and other environments
- Pest identification and control methods
- Proper application and use of pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers
- Use, care, and hazards of various equipment specific to pest infestation management techniques, including but not limited to 200 and 50 gallon spray rigs, pressure spray guns, hand wands, probes, and landscape and hand tools
- Basic practices of landscape maintenance
- Apply herbicides and pesticides according to established procedures and regulations
- Utilize equipment and tools for applying herbicides and pesticides in a safe and effective manner
- Read and interpret federal, state and county laws and regulations regarding chemicals and safety data
- Read and interpret oral and written instructions
- Follow Department procedures and regulations
- Work independently and as a team member
- Operate right-hand drive vehicle while spraying weeds on roadside
- Follow safety practices and recognize hazards
- Maintain accurate records
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Establish and maintain cooperative professional work relationships with those contacted in the course of work
- Meet work deadlines
- Report to work as scheduled and provide regular and predictable onsite attendance
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Experience: Three years' landscape experience including two years' experience as a professional pest control provider.
Certifications/License: A valid California Class C driver license with an acceptable driving record required by time of appointment and during course of employment
California Qualified Applicator Certificate (QAC) or Qualified Applicator License (QAL) including one or more of the following categories: Residential, Industrial and Institutional, Landscape Maintenance, Rights of Way, Forest, Aquatic, and Wood Preservation
Applications will be accepted from applicants that currently possess a license from the Structural Pest Control Board. The selected incumbent must possess or be able to obtain a QAC or QAL within six (6) months of appointment.
Employees regularly assigned/required to drive a city or personal vehicle in the course and scope of work shall be required to participate in the DMV Employer Pull Notice program.
Public Employee Disaster Service Worker: In accordance with Government Code Section 3100, all Huntington Beach city employees are required to perform assigned disaster service worker duties in the event of an emergency or a disaster.
Please Note: Our primary means of communication with applicants is sent via email; therefore, please include a valid email address on your application.
|Physical Tasks & Environmental Conditions:|
|Incumbents must be able to meet the physical requirements of the class and have mobility, balance, coordination, vision, hearing and dexterity levels appropriate to the duties to be performed.
Work is primarily performed outdoors (field work) with exposure to the weather and may also include contact with hot and cold surfaces, loud noises from equipment and vehicle engines, vibrations, working in close proximity to moving mechanical parts (mechanical hazards), electrical current (electrical hazards), vehicular traffic and confined spaces. Exposure to potential natural irritants such as vegetation, dust, soil, tree pollens, and sawdust. Exposure to chemicals including but not limited to, volatile organic compounds, fertilizers and non-restricted pesticides, gasoline, diesel, motor oil, grease, ammonia, bleach, cleansers. Must be able to stand for long periods and/or walk long distances; some walking may occur on sloping, slippery and/or uneven surfaces; requires mobility to sit, stand, kneel, crawl, climb, crouch, stoop, reach, and bend; requires ability to twist at the lower body, at the waist, and at the upper body. Requires mobility of both arms to reach and dexterity of hands to grasp and manipulate small and large objects or tools, from overhead to the ground positions. Work involves grasping, lifting, pushing, pulling, moving and dragging of objects which may weigh approximately 50 pounds and up to 100 pounds with the use of proper equipment or assistance. Requires hand, arm, and upper body strength to operate power equipment. Required to wear protective apparel including hardhats, gloves, goggles, respirators, face protectors, ear protection, aprons, coveralls, chain saw chaps, and steel toed shoes. May be required to work at heights above ground level or in confined spaces. Incumbent may be required to respond to after-hours emergency situations.
If anything can be said of Sen. Scott Weiner (D-San Francisco) it’s that he will not back down in the face of defeat.