Monthly Salary Range: $4,620 - $5,900
Bargaining Unit: Local One – Library Unit
Contra Costa County encourages interested candidates to consider this exceptional career opportunity with one of the Bay Area’s most progressive and respected libraries. Permanent full-time and part-time vacancies may be filled from the results of this examination. Initial assignments may be as a Youth Services Librarian, Adult/Teen Services Librarian, Collection Development Librarian, or Juvenile Hall Librarian.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record demonstrating the following:
• Partnering with community-based organizations and community groups to promote library services
• Developing innovative programs to build literacy, further education, and foster a love of reading
• Promoting our collections and reading through readers advisory, recommendation lists, blog entries, author talks, book discussions, and other innovative methods
• Fostering digital literacy and providing age-appropriate technology instruction
• Developing collections and the space itself, ensuring a safe and inviting area
Characteristics of the ideal candidate:
• Passion for creating an environment that encourages patrons to follow their interests, discover new ones, learn from their peers, and embrace reading
• Effective interpersonal and communication skills
• Experience providing customer and reference service
• Ability to create and conduct innovative programs
To read the complete job description, please visit the website, www.cccounty.us/hr. The eligible list established from this recruitment may remain in effect for one year.
TENTATIVE EXAM DATES
Tentative Online Assessment Exam: Week of June 10, 2019
License Required: Candidates must possess and maintain throughout the duration of employment a valid California Motor Vehicle Operator’s License. Out of state valid motor vehicle operator’s license will be accepted during the application process.
Education: Possession of a Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science, from a school of librarianship accredited by the American Library Association.
Experience: Two (2) years experience in a customer oriented environment.
PERSONS AWAITING MLIS DEGREE CONFERRAL BY JULY 2019 ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
Applicants are eligible to apply for this position if:
(1) They have two (2) years of experience in a customer oriented environment, AND
(2) They possess a Master's Degree in Library and Information Science (MLIS), OR are pending MLIS degree conferral by August 4, 2019.
Applicants pending MLIS degree conferral are required to provide proof of degree conferral by August 4, 2019 via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Application Filing: All applicants must apply on-line at www.cccounty.us/hr and submit the information as indicated on the job announcement by the final filing date. A completed Supplemental Questionnaire is required at the time of applying.
2. Application Evaluation: Depending on the number of applications received, an Application Evaluation Board may be convened to evaluate and select the best-qualified candidates for invitation to the next phase of the examination.
3. Online Assessment: An online assessment exam will be administered to all accepted candidates. This Assessment may consist of multiple-choice and true/false questions to assess candidates on subject such as, Customer Service, Attention to Detail, Spelling and Grammar, Reading Comprehension, Leadership, Presentation Skills, Time Management, and Social Media. (Weighted 100%)
4. Candidates must receive a score of 70 which may be an adjusted score, in order to continue in the exam process.
The Human Resources Department may change the examination steps noted above in accordance with the Personnel Management Regulations and accepted selection practices.
With more access to information than ever before, it is now even more difficult for people and even policymakers to separate facts from misinformation.