INTERNAL AUDIT DIVISION MANAGER
County of San Mateo
$11,137 - $13,922 Monthly
The Controller's Office of the County of San Mateo is seeking highly-qualified candidates for the position of Internal Audit Division Manager
. The Controller's Office mission is to promote the County's operational effectiveness and ensure its financial transparency and integrity by providing quality accounting, audit, and financial reporting services.
The Internal Audit Division of the Controller's Office conducts independent audits, evaluations, and analysis to assist County management in improving the efficiency and effectiveness of programs and functions, safeguarding County assets, reducing risks, and achieving business objectives.
The Internal Audit Division Manager (Division Manager) is responsible for planning, executing, and reporting on operational, financial, and compliance-related audits and reviews conducted with and for County departments. The Division Manager is also responsible for providing advice to County management regarding internal controls needed to mitigate risks and help ensure consistent and sound business practices.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Planning, organizing, and directing the work of the Audit Division staff in reviewing the internal controls, compliance, efficiency, and effectiveness of County operations
- Assigning and monitoring audit projects and scheduling related work
- Directing special audits and investigations as assigned by management
- Reviewing and approving all audit findings and recommendations, including written audit reports
- Managing staff and ensuring they are well trained
- The Internal Audit Division Manager plays a key role in helping to develop and execute an Audit Plan using a risk-based approach and best practices.
The ideal candidate will have strong staff and program management skills. Integrity and honesty are cornerstones of this position. The candidate will have a demonstrated history of ethical, consistent, and fair behavior in the function and completion of previous and current audit duties. In addition, the ideal candidate should be a strong communicator with the ability to develop and maintain critical relationships, analyze complex information logically, and explain such information with clarity to stakeholders and non-technical individuals.
Additional attributes that will help make the Division Manager succeed include excellent attention to detail with a focus on life-time learning; desire to keep current with new technologies; skilled researcher; effective team player and team leader; results-oriented with an emphasis on accuracy, completeness, and productivity; and ability to effectively manage change, solve difficult problems, and recommend solutions that best meet business needs.
The Internal Audit Manager will have knowledge of:
- Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards (GAGAS)
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS)
- Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) Standards
- Applicable laws, rules, and regulations
- Public administration principles
- Organizational theory
- Skills will include:
- Directing audit programs
- Interpreting applicable laws, rules, and regulations
- Planning, assigning, training, directing, reviewing, and evaluating the work of others
- Exercising sound independent judgement
- Preparing well-written reports and making informative and concise presentations
- Communicating clearly using effective interpersonal skills
- Preparing and managing the division budget
Experience in information systems and software applications such as the Microsoft applications, ACL for data analysis, TeamMate for auditing, Monarch, etc.
A candidate that possesses a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and/or Certified Internal Auditor license issued by the State of California is desirable.
Preferred qualifications include:
FINAL FILING DATE: July 28, 2021
- A bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or business administration from an accredited institution
- Five years of experience working at the professional level of accounting and auditing
- Three years of supervisory experience
- Proficiency in basic accounting principles, audit procedures and techniques, and internal controls
- Extensive experience in the application of auditing and accounting principles and best practices in operational and business process analysis
- Extensive experience performing risk assessments of operations, business process/procedures, and internal controls
- Experience ensuring audit findings, analysis, and recommendations are well supported with proper evidence
- The ability to interact with the public, staff, and management on all levels in a professionally cordial and confident manner
- A desire to constantly learn about the County departments’ various functions and the services provided
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite
- Proficiency in data mining tools and software, such as ACL
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing
- Ability to use sound judgment
- Ability to manage time and workload effectively, which includes planning, organizing, and prioritizing, with strong attention to detail
To learn more about the position and to apply online, please visit our website at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/sanmateo/jobs/3139299/internal-audit-division-manager-open-and-promotional. Applications are only accepted online. Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire. EOE