In November, City News reported on an FBI raid at the
$4,671.00 - $5,962.00 Per Month
Under general direction, operates heavy, power-driven street maintenance or construction equipment as a major assignment; performs incidental construction and manual labor as necessary; occasionally acts as a lead worker on a small crew; does related work as required.
· Operates and makes minor adjustments and emergency repairs to power-driven equipment, such as tractors, motor graders, cranes, dozers, rollers, skip loaders and similar types of equipment used in maintenance and construction work;
· Operates auxiliary mechanical equipment on the vehicles;
· Loads and unloads materials and equipment;
· Performs heavy and semi-skilled construction, maintenance and labor work when the nature of the job does not require constant operation of the equipment;
· Assists in resurfacing, oiling and patching roads, and in removing brush and undergrowth from road right-of-way;
· Washes and cleans equipment;
· Advises supervisor on operating conditions, reporting need for mechanical adjustment and repair;
· Keeps simple records of mileage and work performed;
· Supervises a small work crew in general labor and clean-up operations;
· May operate motor sweeper in cleaning assigned streets when necessary, and cleans and adjusts the equipment used.
Positions in the Class have as a major assignment, the operation of heavy-duty equipment used in the street maintenance program. When not required to operate equipment, positions are assigned to work with street, sewer or other Public Works maintenance crews. May also be assigned duties as relief Street Sweeper Operator.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High school graduate or equivalent G.E.D. Certificate AND three (3) years of experience in construction and maintenance work which shall have included as a major assignment the operation of such equipment as dump trucks, tractors, skip-loaders and rollers, cranes and motor graders. Experience may be substituted for the required high school education on a year-for-year basis to a maximum of two (2) years. Must have Knowledge of the WATCH manual.
Must have and maintain a valid California Class B Driver’s License.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
Knowledge of street construction or maintenance equipment and the operation, care, minor adjustments and repair of such equipment; of the provisions of the California Vehicle Code, Standards and Guidelines of the Watchbook and other traffic laws, ordinances and rules involved in automotive operation on City streets; of the principles of supervision; ability to detect needed mechanical work and to make minor adjustments to equipment; to skillfully and safely operate the particular type of equipment assigned; to work without immediate supervision in the field, and to supervise the work of a small crew.
FILING, SELECTION & TESTING PROCESS
To apply, submit an original City of Gardena Employment Application to the Human Resources Office; address listed below. Applications submitted to any other office will be rejected unless otherwise directed. Incomplete or illegible applications will be rejected. No copies, FAX or email copies. We do not make copies of applications, DMV printouts or certifications. Please come prepared with all applicable materials for submission. Postmarks are not accepted. All applications will be reviewed and only those that demonstrate the best combination of qualifications and experience in relation to the requirements of the position will be invited to participate in the examination process.
The examination may consist of a written test, functional hands-on skills test and/or oral interview. The examination process may be changed as deemed necessary by the City Human Resources Officer.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The City of Gardena does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, age, sex or sexual orientation. The City of Gardena maintains and enforces a zero-tolerance policy relating to substance abuse and maintains a smoke-free workplace.
SUBMIT APPLICATIONS TO: CITY OF GARDENA HUMAN RESOURCES OFFICE
1700 W. 162ND STREET, GARDENA, CA 90247
Human Resources Office: (310) 217-9688
24 HR Job Hotline: (310) 217-9515
Last month, Minneapolis became the first city in the nation to ban single-family zoning.