Salary $8,667 - $13,585 per month
Settled in the Tehachapi Mountains above the San Joaquin and Antelope Valleys, the City of Tehachapi spans 6.5 square miles and is economic and cultural hub for much of eastern Kern County. With new businesses, retail, arts, events and entertainment, the City of Tehachapi has established itself as a shining example of success with effective planning, budgeting and management while maintaining its small town charm.
The City of Tehachapi (population 13,000) is a general law city operating under the Council-Manager form of government with the City Manager appointed by the City Council. The Council is comprised of five members elected from five districts who serve as the legislative and policymaking body for the City.
The City of Tehachapi is the only incorporated municipality in the greater Tehachapi area which consists of an additional 35,000 residents spread out among communities governed by the County of Kern and various community service districts. Despite not being residents of the City, our infrastructure, retail, restaurants, service stations and a variety of other businesses serve that population as the City is the economic hub for the entire region.
Under the direction of the City Manager, the Finance Director plans, organizes, directs and reviews the activities and operations of the finance department including treasury, finance, risk management, personnel, transit and utility billings including customer service. Provides leadership to the department and City organization; coordinates assigned activities with other City departments and outside agencies and provides highly responsible and complex administrative support to the City Manager and other departments.
The Finance Director oversees the general accounting functions of the City while providing financial support and assistance to City departments while ensuring compliance with internal controls and standard accounting practices.
- Generally-accepted accounting principles & financial reporting.
- Principles and practices of internal control procedures and practices as they apply to a public agency.
- Methods of finance administration in the areas of accounting, budgeting, auditing, purchasing, treasury, and utility billing.
- California public agency and Redevelopment Agency financial practices, revenue sources and reporting.
- Pertinent local, state and federal laws, rules and regulations.
- Special District administration.
- Personnel rules, regulation and risk management.
- Plan, and direct the administration of the finance department.
- Prepare and administer Citywide budgets.
- Maintain cooperative working relationships.
- Develop, plan and implement Department goals and objectives.
- Build and administer the budgets for the City, Redevelopment Agency & Finance Department.
- Manage, train and evaluate personnel.
- Direct and prepare financial reports as required by law.
- Manage Special Districts.
- Prepare complex analyses and special financial reports.
- Perform duties required by the Successor Agency to Tehachapi RDA.
- Manage Risk Management, Human Resources and contract transit service.
- Issue new debt and refinance existing debts.
- Prepare and update policies pertaining to finance and human resources.
- Prepare and present staff reports and other necessary correspondence to the City Council.
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying.
- Seven years of increasingly responsible experience in public accounting and financial analysis; at least three years of administrative and management duties.
- Equivalent to a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in accounting, finance, business administration or related field.
- Possession of a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Public Finance Officer (CPFO) is highly desirable.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain an appropriate, valid California driver's license.
- 4/10 Work Schedule (Monday-Thursday 7am-5:30pm)
- 11.5 Holidays (115 hours)
- 80 hours Vacation (accrued at 3.08 hours per pay period)
- 80 hours Admin (accrued at 3.08 hours per pay period)
- 96 hours Sick (accrued at 3.7 hours per pay period)
- CalPERS retirement: Classic - 2% at 60, 7% employee contribution or PEPRA - 2% at 62, 6.75% employee contribution.
- Medical, Dental, Vision and insurance with generous employer contribution.
- Life Insurance - 2x annual base salary (capped at $150,000).
- 457 Deferred Comp. and/or Roth available.
- Supplemental life and other insurances available.
- Vehicle and cellphone allowance.
How to Apply
Applications accepted at: https://www.liveuptehachapi.com/462/Finance-Director-Recruitment