Ready to discover where your talents can take you next? Discover just how bright your future can be in San Marcos! The City of San Marcos is looking for a Finance Director, but we want more than a bean counter. We're looking for a leader with big ideas, who will continue raising the bar. This is a chance to join an exceptional agency at an extraordinary time!
San Marcos, California is distinct for our:
- Entrepreneurial approach of a real estate portfolio that earns $10M annually
- Growth rate of median household incomes outpacing the region
- Multiple higher education institutions
THE RIGHT PERSON
We want a Finance Director with tenacity and vision to streamline how we do business - and the confidence to lead our finance team into the future. It's paramount this person knows and respects government finance regulations, but we'd also like creative solutions to achieve new heights of financial success.
To join our team, you will need to:
- Be our finance expert and keep us on the path to prosperity
- Stay ahead of the curve so that our City meets and exceeds its goals
- Collaborate with all our departments - we don't work in silos here
- Create ways to cut red tape, so we can all work smarter
- Pay it forward by mentoring and empowering your team
THE RIGHT PLACE
To review the Finance Director job description, including technical aptitude and requirements, please visit the following link.
Additional information regarding the City of San Marcos' Finance Department and financial resources can be viewed here
Just minutes away the Pacific Ocean, San Marcos is emerging as one of San Diego County's most desirable communities, with top-ranked schools and California's newest state university. With multiple beaches and epic year-round weather, the recreation opportunities are endless. Our economy continues to grow as people discover that San Marcos is a great place to live, work and play.
In San Marcos, you can:
THE RIGHT PERKS
- Explore our 47 beautiful parks, which add more than 300 acres of open space
- Trek 63 miles of trails through some of area's most scenic vistas
- Learn at any one of the six educational institutions
- Celebrate the community spirit at more than 50 annual events
- Dine at more than 240 restaurants and breweries
The Finance Director will inherit a city that is fiscally strong with solid reserves and a benchmark of excellence in managing our $77M budget. There are exciting opportunities on the horizon as we embark on a $100M federally funded capital-improvement project to improve mobility in our community: The San Marcos Creek District bridges.
Other perks include:
- Earn a competitive salary ($135-184K)
- Gain generous health benefits (all medical premiums employer paid at 90%)
- Enjoy ample time off (13 paid hoidays, 96 hours of sick leave, 80 hours of vacation leave, 80 hours of executive leave)
- Receive an auto and cell phone allowance
- Popular 9/80 work schedule
- Participate in the CalPERS retirement system (Classic members 2% @ 55, PEPRA members 2% @ 62) and Social Security
- Be eligible for relocation assistance
Please view the Benefits tab to learn more about the benefits offered with this Executive level position.
- Applications will be received through 5:30pm, November 26, 2018
- Qualified and selected applicants will be invited to a first interview, held on December 12, 2018
- Second interviews will be held on December 19, 2018
- Anticipated start date is mid January 2019
Vacation Leave – A new employee will accrue eighty (80) hours of vacation per calendar year for the first five years of service (one hundred, twenty (120) hours for years five through ten, and one hundred, sixty (160) hours after ten years). Vacation accrual begins immediately; however, a new employee is not eligible to take vacation leave until the completion of six (6) months of service with the City.
Executive Leave – Executive managers receive eighty (80) hours of executive leave per year.
Auto and cell phone allowance – Executive managers receive $396 per month for auto allowance and $75 per month for cell phone allowance.
Sick Leave – A new employee will earn ninety-six (96) hours of sick leave each year.
Bereavement Leave - Employees are eligible to use up to 40 hours of bereavement leave per fiscal year.
Group Health Insurance Program – A new employee will become a member of one of the City’s group health plans (Aetna HMO, Aetna PPO, or Kaiser HMO) effective the first day of the month following their date of hire. The City will pay 90% of the health care premium and employees will pick up 10% of the premiums of the plan they select.
Voluntary Dental/Vision Insurance Programs – The City offers two voluntary dental insurance programs, an HMO program and a PPO Program, as well as a voluntary vision insurance program.
Section 125 Flexible Spending Account – All employees are eligible to participate in the City’s Section 125 Flexible Spending Account plan administered by Benefit Coordinators Corporation (BCC). This is an IRS-approved plan which enables you to have withheld from your paycheck an amount to cover eligible dependent care, and certain eligible medical expenses without being subject to federal income or social security tax on the income used to pay for these benefits.
Retirement - The City participates in both the Social Security (FICA) and the California Public Employees’ Retirement Systems (CalPERS). The City currently contracts with CalPERS for the 2% at 55 benefit formula, Post-Retirement Survivor Allowance, and 3 year average final pay for CLASSIC members and 2% at 62, Post-Retirement Survivor Allowance, and 3 year average final pay for PEPRA (new) members. Employees will contribute 7% or 6.5% towards CalPERS, depending whether a classic or new member.
Retiree Health Savings (RHS) – All employees participate in a Retiree Health Savings plan through the ICMA Retirement Corporation.
Additional Benefits – The City offers additional benefits such as short and long-term disability, group life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and workers’ compensation insurance.