The County of San Luis Obispo seeks an Environmental Planning Manager (historically known as the Environmental Coordinator) to join the Department of Planning and Building. This is an excellent opportunity to apply your experience and knowledge to support current environmental review projects. This position offers the right candidate an opportunity to apply their expertise on a wide array of current planning projects, complex environmental and coastal development plans, and work closely with the environmental review board, planning commission, and other hearing bodies.
For more information please see the complete recruitment brochure: https://wbrowncreative.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Brochure-Environmental-Planning-Manager-SLO-5-FINAL.pdf
THE JOB and the IDEAL CANDIDATE
The Environmental Planning Manager reports to the Deputy Director of Planning and Building and leads a division of roughly three direct and 30 indirect reports, oversees a large complex workload that performs as the clearinghouse for all CEQA and NEPA documents, and administers environmental review for the Department. This position demands strong organizational and project management skills, an exceptional leadership and communication ability, and a strategic and analytical thinker. The Environmental Planning Manager will work collaboratively with the various Boards and other hearing bodies to ensure that project environmental review is processed and completed correctly.
The ideal candidate will…
- Be the in-house CEQA and NEPA expert for all matters related to processing environmental documents.
- Demonstrate excellent leadership experience, proven ability to shape culture, and a high level of professionalism.
- Possess a desire to improve workload and permitting processes.
- Navigate effectively in a political environment and be responsive to various needs and requests.
- Act collaboratively and work effectively with constituents, boards, elected officials, department and county agencies, and personnel.
- Graduation from an accredited institution with a bachelor's degree in either environmental, physical or life science, natural resources management or a closely related field. (Job related experience may substitute for the required education on a year-for-year basis.)
- In addition, six years of professional experience in environmental planning, review and analysis. Three of the years shall have been directly related to environmental analysis and a minimum of two shall have been in a supervisory capacity.
- A state approved specialized professional license or certification, OR a master’s degree or bachelor’s degrees in two fields such as in life science and environmental planning is desirable and may substitute for one year of experience.
- A valid driver's license is required at the time of application. A valid CALIFORNIA driver's license is required at the time of appointment and must be maintained throughout employment.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Environmental Planning Manager: $103,625 – $125,964 annually DOE/DOQ
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications for these positions will be accepted through April 18, 2019. To apply, please complete an application and attach a resume and cover letter at the County of San Luis Obispo’s job opportunity page at:
Please contact Frank Stapleton with any questions: