The Department: The Public Works Department is responsible for planning, providing and maintaining infrastructure that supports Carlsbad's excellent qualify of life. The department includes a variety of divisions including Administration, Environmental Management, General Services, Transportation and Utilities. More than 173 full time staff support the department which also has an annual budget of $90 million, along with a total CIP appropriation of $243.9 million.
The Division: The CMI Division of Public Works supports the Community Vision statements of Sustainability and Neighborhood revitalization, community design, and livability. This Division performs construction management and inspection services for all CIP and private development projects in the city, while ensuring high quality and safe implementation of improvements. This Division manages the planning, design and construction of large, complex civic projects, as well as projects occurring in Carlsbad but owned by other agencies. This Division manages the grading and construction of infrastructure associated with private development, with projections of 1500 new residential units and 1.5M SF of non-residential construction to be constructed over the next 5 years. The Division also ensures construction project storm water compliance, special event storm water compliance, and oversees the Treatment Control BMP inspection program.
The Position: The ideal candidate is a self-motivated, high performer who is responsible to plan, organize and direct the activities of the CMI division, which includes coordinating the activities with other departments, governmental agencies and other outside organizations; and to provide technical and administrative staff assistance. This position acts as a division manager and supervises other management level supervisors and lower level staff in directing the work activities of the division.
He/she must be a creative and solution oriented professional that will uphold high standards; help customers to navigate processes and ensure good experiences and excellent service levels to all project stakeholders.
Recruiting Process: If selected to move forward in the recruiting process, there will be an oral board panel interview the week of August 14, 2017.
- Strong administrative abilities which include the efficient administration of a significant budget.
- Advanced knowledge of construction/project management methodologies as well as contracts, agreements, and securities as they relate to private development construction.
- Demonstrated ability to deploy resources so projects are completed on time and within budget.
- A successful track record leading and developing people, supporting organizational change management and exhibiting leadership traits that are aligned with the Mission, Vision and Values of the City of Carlsbad.
- Must be politically savvy and demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
Experience and Education:
- A bachelor's degree in engineering from an accredited college or university with major course work in civil engineering or a related field. Additional course work in public administration desirable.
- Ten years of increasingly responsible and varied professional engineering and engineering management experience involving a variety of development projects and/or design and construction of a variety of public facilities and projects
- A minimum of two years of experience in a supervisory capacity.
For a complete job description please visit the city's website at: http://www.carlsbadca.gov/services/depts/hr/jobdesc.asp
To apply for this position, please visit the city's website at http://carlsbadca.gov