The City of Ventura is hiring!
We are accepting applications for the position of Economic Development Manager
. Come join our team as we align our workforce to better serve our community together – they're counting on us.
The Economic Development Manager works under the general direction of the City Manager's Office and is charged with leading the City’s overall economic development efforts, programs, and services. This position works closely with businesses, community groups, developers, commercial real estate brokers, internal staff, and outside agencies to achieve the City's overall economic development goals, policies, and programs. The Economic Development Manager will lead a comprehensive and focused commitment to business retention, expansion, and attraction for the City. The position plans, organizes, manages, and provides leadership to staff in the activities and operations of various economic development programs. The Economic Development Manager will also represent the City to the business community and works with regional and state economic development organizations.
- Understand the post-COVID economic state of Ventura Businesses and develop and implement long-term Economic Development Strategy
- Support investment in infrastructure needed to prevent, detect, and respond to the next threat of widespread economic disruption
- Expand workforce development, including programs targeting re-skill or up-skill training for displaced workers
- Expand Educational Partnership, connecting education with business to help bridge the gap to bring Jobs to Ventura
- Retain and support existing businesses, create opportunities for expansion and attract complementary new businesses to the City
- Assist with the review of the City's permit process to ensure an efficient, customer friendly building and development permit process to give Ventura a competitive advantage in attracting growth and jobs
- Work with City partners to showcase Ventura's natural assets, grow tourism and the city's cultural and arts scene
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with other city, county, and statewide economic development organizations
The ideal candidate is a strong collaborator, who understands the value of internal and external relationships to achieving the City's economic development goals. The selected candidate will have proven experience connecting people and organizations, finding room for agreement, and managing successful economic development initiatives. Additionally, the ideal candidate:
Salary and Benefits
- Has a broad knowledge of economic development, including economic drivers, real estate development, business retention and attraction
- Works collaboratively and cooperatively with City Departments and the business community
- Is highly organized, decisive, and innovative, with a strong commitment to the values of community participation, sustainability, and cost efficiency
- Has effective communication, interpersonal and customer service skills
- Is a skilled facilitator with proven experience working collaboratively with businesses, community groups, developers, and commercial real estate brokers
- Demonstrates knowledge of planning and community development issues and practices related to economic and job development
- Demonstrates solid knowledge of federal, state, and local programs and opportunities to enhance economic development
- Works independently and possesses timely follow-up skills
The City offers a total compensation package that includes both a generous salary plus excellent benefit! Salary: $105,043 - $140,760 Annually DOQ.
A combination of education, training, and experience equivalent to a bachelor's degree in planning, economics, business or public administration, or a related field and five years of increasingly responsible professional economic development experience, including two years of supervisory experience, in the public or private sector are required.
To apply, candidates must submit a completed City job application, supplemental questions and attach a cover letter and resume. Application materials must be received by the filing deadline Monday, January 3, 2022, at 5:30 p.m. Go to www.cityofventura.ca.gov/jobs and Apply! EEO/ADA