To view the informational brochure and learn more about this exciting career opportunity with Butte County, click HERE
Please submit your resume and cover letter to HRRecruitmentExecutive@buttecounty.net no later than Monday, October 17, 2022.
If you have additional questions please contact Human Resources at (530) 552.3552.
This position operates under the policy direction from the Board of Supervisors and administrative direction from the Chief Administrative Officer. The General Services Director is an organizational leader capable of overseeing a complex and diverse department; combining good judgment and initiative to deliver superior support functions to other County Departments; performs other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives administrative direction from the Chief Administrative Officer. Exercises direct supervision over management, supervisory, professional, technical, and administrative support staff through subordinate levels of supervision.
EXAMPLES OF TYPICAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Typical functions may include any of the following tasks, knowledge, abilities, and other characteristics. The list that follows is not intended as a comprehensive list; it is intended to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed, and may be required to perform additional, position-specific tasks.
- Develops, directs, and coordinates the implementation of goals, objectives, policies, procedures, and work standards for the department; establishes, within County policy, appropriate budget, service, and staffing levels.
- Manages and participates in the development and administration of the department’s annual budget; directs the forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; directs the monitoring of and approves expenditures; directs and implements adjustments as necessary.
- Selects, trains, motivates, and directs assigned staff; evaluates and reviews work for acceptability and conformance with department standards, including program and project priorities and performance evaluations; works with employees on performance issues; implements discipline and termination procedures; responds to staff questions and concerns.
- Coordinate the County Energy functions through a collaborative effort with other Departments.
- Oversees all real property asset transactions including fee and less than fee rights for both infrastructure and transportation projects ensuring the completion of appropriate due diligence.
- Directs staff in managing all county Public Projects using the appropriate delivery method for the project and engaging technical experts as needed.
- Makes final interpretations of County regulations and codes regarding the management of public projects and the contracting of goods and services for all Departments and develops long range business plans to centralize appropriate services using a collaborative approach in working with other Departments.
- Develops long range facility maintenance and modification plans and recommends space plans and capital improvement projects to accommodate all County functions.
- May be assigned to other managerial or administrative duties as directed by the Chief Administrative Officer.
- Represents the County and the department in meetings with representatives of governmental agencies, professional and business organizations, employee organizations, and the public.
- Contributes to the overall quality of the department’s service by developing, reviewing, and implementing policies and procedures to meet legal requirements and County needs; continuously monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; assesses and monitors the distribution of work, support systems, and internal reporting relationships; identifies opportunities for improvement; directs the implementation of changes.
- Oversees the development of consultant requests for proposal for professional services and the advertising and bid processes; negotiates contracts and agreements and administers same after award.
- Monitors developments in legislation related to departmental objectives, evaluates their impact upon County operations, and recommends and implements policy and procedural improvements.
- Prepares, reviews, and presents staff reports, various management and information updates, and reports on special projects as assigned by the County Administrative Officer; including presentations to the Board of Supervisors.
- Responds to difficult and sensitive public inquiries and complaints and assists with resolutions and alternative recommendations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.