To plan, direct, manage and oversee the activities and operations of the Finance and Human Resource Divisions including developing and implementing efficient and effective financial policies, plans and reporting systems to ensure the City’s long-term fiscal health; to oversee all personnel issues; to use the City’s information technology resources to improve customer service and productivity; to coordinate assigned activities with other departments and outside agencies; and to provide quality service to all internal and external customers.
The Director of Administrative Services reports to the City Manager and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
· Oversight and management of the Administrative Services Department, which includes the Human Resources and Financial Services Division with a staff of 5 full-time positions.
· Directly supervising the Accounting Manager and Human Resources Manager.
· Preparing and presenting to the City Council the City budget and quarterly budget reports.
· Serving as the City Treasurer and overseeing the City’s investment portfolio and investment policies.
· Coordinating preparation of the annual audit and Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR).
· Supervising accounting procedures and the design and implementation of automated financial accounting systems.
· Maintaining trust accounting and reporting for improvement assessments.
· Administering the City’s utility billing, business tax collection, accounts receivable and cashier/public counter activities.
· Advise the City Council and City Manager on fiscal and personnel matters.
· Serving as the financial officer for the Five Cities Fire Authority.
· Administering the City’s real and personal property management systems.
· Assessing and monitoring work load, administrative and support systems, and internal reporting relationships.
· Developing purchasing policies and procedures and monitoring purchasing for compliance with established guidelines.
· Serving as a member of the City’s department director team and identifying and responding to the financial and human resources needs of departments.
· Forecasting revenues and expenditures and developing strategies to increase efficiency and address financial issues.
· Responding to and resolving citizen inquiries and complaints.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will be a skilled individual with strong management, leadership, technical and customer service skills and able to demonstrate the following qualities and qualifications:
· Commitment to the values of the organization.
· Strong character and ethics.
· Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to establish, foster and maintain positive and cooperative working relationships with City staff, elected officials, community groups and organizations.
· Excellent knowledge of all aspects of municipal financial practices.
· Track record of developing and implementing creative approaches to increase efficiency.
· High level of competency in accounting principles and procedures.
· Ability to evaluate current practices, recommend and implement updated departmental procedures.
· Leadership skills and ability to effectively motivate, train, and manage staff.
· A hard worker motivated by professional challenges, the achievement of personal and team goals, and service to the organization and community.
· A hands-on manager, willing and committed to assume personal responsibility for many tasks and projects, while at the same time effectively monitoring and managing ongoing operations of the department.
· Views himself or herself and their operation as part of a team committed to the success and goals of others.
· Someone who sincerely cares about the quality of their work, the best interests of the organization, and the well being of the individuals they work with and serve.
· An effective and creative problem solver.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Goals and Objectives
Some of the ongoing efforts that the Director of Administrative Services may oversee include the following:
· Update of the City’s financial and personnel policies and procedures.
· ERP Evaluation and Implementation
· Development of the Citywide and CIP budget
· Brisco Interchange project financing
· Issuance of various RFP’s including Audit and Development Impact Fee Study
· Cross training of staff to consolidate financial and human resource functions.
The successful applicant will have any combination of experience and training equivalent to five years of increasingly responsible financial management or governmental accounting experience including three years of management and administrative responsibility.
Equivalent to a Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in business administration, accounting, finance or related field. A CPA designation or prior human resources experience is highly desirable.
Application and Selection
Candidates must submit an application, cover letter and resume at www.governmentjobs.com/careers/arroyogrande
All applications are subject to review and evaluation. After an initial evaluation of the applications, selected candidates will be invited to an interview. The City Manager will make the final decision.
Tentative Recruitment Schedule:
Application Deadline: Open until filled
First Review of Applications: Week of November 17, 2019
Desired Start Date: January 2, 2020
A Loyalty Oath must be signed by appointees to any position with the City of Arroyo Grande. Fingerprinting will also be required.
Proof of United States Citizenship, or, if not a citizen, other appropriate authorization is required, prior to employment.
The provisions of this announcement do not constitute an expressed or implied contract and any provision in this announcement may be modified or revoked without notice.
THE CITY OF ARROYO GRANDE IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND ENCOURAGES MINORITIES, WOMEN, AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES TO APPLY. SHOULD YOU REQUIRE ANY ACCOMMODATION FOR TESTING DUE TO A DISABILITY, PLEASE ADVISE AT TIME OF APPLICATION.