1993 Rancho Conejo Blvd. Newbury Park, 91320
We are seeking an innovative and proactive Deputy Public Works Director - Operations who will be responsible for leading and managing operations activities to protect the capital investments in the City’s facilities and infrastructure through maintenance, enhancement, and when necessary, expansion. The Deputy Public Works Director - Operations will be responsible for:
• Developing, implementing and monitoring long-term plans, goals and objectives focused on achieving the Department’s mission and priorities
• Planning and directing a variety of projects and programs associated with operation and maintenance public works activities in streets, landscape, fleet and administration
• Delivering high quality water distribution and wastewater collection services for the community
• Oversight of the operation of the City’s 8 MGD Hill Canyon Treatment Plant
• Providing leadership and working with department managers to develop, lead and retain highly competent, diverse, customer service-oriented staff
• Preparing, monitoring, and reviewing operational budgets for each Public Works division
• Collaborating with Finance, City Attorney, City Clerk, Engineering, Open Space, and other departments/divisions to achieve common goals
The position leads and guides an operations and maintenance staff of approximately 130 staff, across several key divisions. This is an essential senior management position reporting to the Public Works Director.
Job Video Link URL:
The successful candidate will:
• Provide day-to-day leadership and direction to ensure a high performance, responsive, and customer service-oriented environment, and to manage and direct comprehensive public works projects and programs
• Provide strategic and tactical planning by gaining and leveraging the knowledge of public works while keeping in mind the City’s overall goals
• Drive continuous improvement through innovation and optimization of processes and procedures
• Possess extensive team-building skills, be results-oriented, and be a seasoned manager with solid management skills
• Work cooperatively with all City departments
• Have superior interpersonal and communication skills that thrive in a fast-paced work environment
• Serve as a key player in leading and directing the operations, services, and activities within the Department
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally, and in writing
• Enjoy the daily challenges of priority and goal setting, and driving initiatives towards successful implementation
• Have strong experience in the operation and maintenance of water and wastewater facilities is desired
• Possess a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college
• Possess a minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible public works experience, four of which were in a management and administrative capacity
• Possess a valid Class C California driver’s license
• Registration as a California Professional Engineer as well as Certifications in Public Works Management, PMP or other project management areas is preferred
FILING DEADLINE: Open until a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received. Please note, the recruitment may close without notice at any time.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION - The City of Thousand Oaks makes reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities to participate in the selection process. If you wish to request an accommodation in order to participate in the selection process, you must inform the Human Resources Department in writing no later than the final filing date. Applicants requesting an accommodation should document the request including the type and extent of accommodations requested to participate in the selection process and/or perform the duties of the job for which applied.
Veteran’s Preference - In order to qualify for Veteran’s Preference a Form DD214, or other acceptable proof of service, must be submitted by the deadline date/time noted in the job announcement. Any veteran who has successfully completed all phases of a selection process for employment with the City shall be granted a final interview regardless of his or her ranking on the eligibility list, providing he/she meets the criteria for an eligible veteran.
The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute a contract, expressed or implied, and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice.
Contact phone: (805)449-2144
Contact email: email@example.com