San Joaquin County is seeking an experienced public works/engineering professional with strong leadership and communication skills to provide direction and oversight of the Operations Divisions. The ideal candidate will possess proven leadership skills, and exceptional knowledge and experience managing public works operations with successful outcomes. The incumbent reports to the Director of Public Works and is responsible for managing and administering the programs, functions, budgets and activities of the following Public Works Operations Divisions: Channel Maintenance, Fleet Services, Road & Traffic Maintenance, Solid Waste Operations and Utilities Maintenance. The Operations Divisions account for over 300 of the department’s full-time allocated positions. More information about Public Works is available at the department web page
The Ideal Candidate
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in public or business administration, engineering, environmental science, accounting, finance or a related field.
- Experience: Six years of increasingly responsible administrative, engineering or analytical work, including at least one year administering or managing large and complex programs and/or projects in an engineering, construction, or similar setting.
- Substitution: A master’s degree in public or business administration, engineering, environmental science, accounting, finance, economics or a related field may substitute for one of the years of experience required above, other than the required one year administering or managing large and complex programs and/or projects in an engineering, construction, or similar setting.
- License: Possession of a valid California Driver’s License.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Outstanding leadership skills and experience managing diverse public works engineering projects.
- Tremendous personal integrity, sense of professional ethics, and dedication to public service.
- Well-developed organizational and decision making skills including having a strategic outlook.
- Ability to inspire, motivate and empower staff to achieve established goals and develop succession planning.
- A desire to embrace innovation to enhance services provided.
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills and customer service.
- Strong analytical skills, sound judgment, and a positive attitude.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to synthesize complex information.
For more information about this exciting opportunity, including compensation and benefits package, visit the following link