The City of Lomita is now accepting applications for the position of Deputy City Clerk/Executive Assistant. Under the direction of the City Clerk, performs a variety of complex and responsible administrative and clerical support duties to the City Clerk’s office. Prepares City Council agendas, minutes, actions, ordinances and resolutions; maintains official documents, records and archives and oversees the day-to-day activities, services and operations of the City Clerk’s office; provides administrative support to the City Council and City Manager; acts in the capacity of the City Clerk in his/her absence.
- Assists the public and City departments, in person, over the telephone or electronically, by giving a wide variety of information regarding City records, ordinances, resolutions, contracts, permits, municipal code, and other public records.
- Assists in the transcription, preparation, posting and maintenance of agendas, minutes and records for City Council meetings and other boards and commissions; maintains the boards and commissions lists.
- Monitors and coordinates the execution of documents by City officials; distributes fully executed documents to corresponding City divisions.
- Attends City Council meetings in the absence of the City Clerk or as required and takes notes and prepares minutes.
- Assigns and maintains resolution and ordinance log books.
- Provides administrative assistance in municipal and special elections.
- Prepares commendations, proclamations, and various certificates and awards.
- Operates a variety of automated office machines including personal computer and related software, calculator, transcribing equipment, copier, scanner and fax machine.
- Answers incoming calls and routes to appropriate staff, opens, sorts, and distributes mail; maintains a variety of confidential information, complex files and records; and orders office supplies.
- Receives and responds to public records requests and coordinates with other departments to fulfill public records requests as necessary.
- Coordinates publications for public notices and assists the City
- Keeps accurate record of the proceedings of the City Council; follow up on Council actions to ensure timely preparation, indexing and filing of agreements, resolutions, ordinances and vital records.
- Assists the City Clerk in organizing and managing the City’s record management program.
- Provides administrative support to the City Council and City Manager such as scheduling appointments, maintain calendars, making travel arrangements, responding to emails, etc.
- Conducts research, gathers material, and compiles information for reports.
Other Job Related Duties
- Assists public with accepting water payments and dial-a-ride payments.
- Assists with preparation of council chambers for meetings.
- Prepares and types correspondence as directed by the City Clerk.
- Performs a variety of duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities necessary for satisfactory job performance. A typical way to obtain the skills, knowledge and abilities would be:
- High school diploma or equivalent. A Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or Public Administration may be substituted for one year of experience.
- A minimum of three (3) years of increasingly responsible secretarial or administrative experience in a City Clerk’s office and frequent contact with the public.
- Language skills necessary to read, analyze and interpret written material; mathematical skills necessary to compute rate, ratio and percent; reasoning ability necessary to solve practical problems; experience with the use of computers including Microsoft Word and Excel. Analytical skills are essential.
- Possession of a valid California Class C Driver’s License. Possession of Certified Municipal Clerk’s Certificate (CMC) is preferred, and if not certified, is required within two (2) years of hire.
- New PERS Members (hired after January 1, 2013) or returning members with a break in service greater than 6 months will be enrolled in the City’s 2% @ 62 Defined Benefit Pension Plan. Employee contributes the employee portion (CalPERS will change this rate annually).
- Classic PERS Members (entering before January 1, 2013 and enrolled in the CalPERS system within the past 6 months) will be enrolled in the City’s 2% @ 60 Defined Benefit Pension Plan.Employee pays the 7% employee contribution.
- The City does not participate in social security.
- Long-Term Disability, Short-Term Disability, and Life Insurance Plans paid for by the City
- HEALTH/DENTAL/VISION INSURANCE
- City contributes between $1,000 and $1,085 per month towards health, dental, and vision insurance, depending on the number of dependents enrolled.
- Fifty percent (50%) of any remaining money may be deposited into an ICMA-RC 457 deferred compensation account.
- VACATION: 80 hours per year for first 5 years of service
- SICK LEAVE: 108 hours per year
- ADMINISTRATIVE LEAVE: 40 hours per year
- HOLIDAYS: 14.5 days per year (which includes the week between Christmas and New Year’s) plus one personal holiday per year
The City works a 9/80 schedule with alternating Fridays off. This position is required to attend evening meetings as assigned.
APPLICATION & SELECTION PROCESS
If you are interested in pursuing this exciting career opportunity, please submit a cover letter, resume, and city job application via mail or in person to:
City of Lomita, Human Resources
24300 Narbonne Avenue
Lomita, CA 90717
Emailed or faxed applications are not accepted. Application materials must be received by Friday, March 30, 2018 at 4:00 P.M. (postmarks are not accepted). For additional information, please contact Deborah Dixon, Human Resources Advisor, at (310) 325-7110, extension 151 or firstname.lastname@example.org
All applicants will be screened in relation to the criteria outlined in this job announcement. Only those candidates determined to be the most qualified on the basis of experience, training, and education will be invited to participate further in the selection process.
The City job application is available online at: http://www.lomita.com/cityhall/jobs/
PUBLIC EMPLOYEE DISASTER SERVICE WORKER
All City employees are required to perform assigned Disaster Service Worker duties in the event of an emergency or a disaster.
The City of Lomita is an Equal Opportunity Employer.