JOB TITLE: City Manager
AGENCY: City of Signal Hill
LOCATION: Signal Hill, CA
FILING DEADLINE: October 17, 2022
SALARY RANGE: Competitive salary and commensurate with experience.
Reporting to and selected by the City Council, the City Manager plans, organizes, and provides administrative direction and oversight for all City functions and activities; provides policy guidance and program evaluation to the City Council and management staff; encourages and facilitates provision of services to City residents and businesses; fosters cooperative working relationships with State and local intergovernmental and regulatory agencies and various public and private groups; pursues appropriate avenues of economic and community development; and is responsible for enforcement of all City codes, ordinances, and regulations, the conduct of all financial activities, and the efficient and economical performance of the City’s operations.
The City Manager serves as the principal representative of the City of Signal Hill in initiating and facilitating open communications among all participants in the process of government; works closely with the Mayor and Council members, while actively and openly assisting the City Council in the development of strategies and solutions to critical issues and assisting in the achievement of consensus toward maintaining a decisive and timely policy decision-making process.
The ideal candidate will be an inspirational and strategic leader with a collaborative approach to address challenges and opportunities and find solutions to achieve economic growth and improve quality of life for residents. A solid background in community development, land use, and mixed-use projects and economy is highly desirable to promote new business ventures. Knowledge of the oil industry is helpful as Signal Hill Petroleum is a major stakeholder in the city. Excellent communication and interpersonal skill are required to build and foster successful relationships with staff, community and business leaders, elected officials, and other key stakeholders. The successful candidate will be a strong manager of staff with a focus on performance management, building a high morale and positive working environment, and bringing best practices and efficiencies to ensure project and program success.
Key characteristics and attributes:
- An individual with the highest personal and professional integrity.
- A successful track history at building collaborative business and community-oriented working relationships.
- An enthusiastic, inspiring, and engaged communicator. A good listener.
- A strong leader who shares the vision of the council and community, and can advocate, articulate, and implement that vision. The ability to deliver information and comprehensive research to City Council in a balanced and unbiased manner. Provide options and solutions with different sides to an issue with strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and risks for each alternative.
- A manager who can blend innovation and creativity, think outside the box, and creatively move the city in a positive direction while acknowledging and responding to its challenges.
- A solid, optimistic leader and role model with a positive presence, who demonstrates initiative, is action oriented, treats others with respect, and is collaborative and approachable.
- Technologically astute; recognizes the value of harnessing and integrating the benefits of cutting-edge technology for city government and for residents.
- A strong leader able to use sound judgement, wisdom and maintain flexibility. Must be politically astute, while remaining apolitical.
The City of Signal Hill, with a population of 11,500 and covering 2.2 square miles, is located in Los Angeles County within four miles of the Pacific Ocean. Known for its beautiful setting, Signal Hill claims the only accessible high ground for miles around with an impressive hilltop park which provides spectacular panoramic views. Completely surrounded by the City of Long Beach, Signal Hill boasts one of the lowest business taxes in Los Angeles County, as well as no utility tax or Mell-Roos Assessment Districts.
For more details about this opportunity, please visit the job brochure at: https://koffassociates.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/Rev3-Signal-Hill-CM.pdf
To be considered, please submit a resume, cover letter, and five work related references (who will not be contacted in the early stages of the recruitment) to: https://koffassociates.com/city-manager-5/
Resumes should reflect years and months of positions held, as well as size of past organization(s).
For additional information, please contact:
Frank Rojas at: (510) 495-0448 or email@example.com
Joshua Boudreaux at: (510) 901-0044 or firstname.lastname@example.org