JOB TITLE: City Engineer/Transportation Engineer
AGENCY: City of Gilroy
LOCATION: Gilroy, CA
FILING DEADLINE: October 27, 2023
SALARY RANGE: $148,625 – $198,185 Annually
Under general administrative direction of the Public Works Director, plans and supervises the activities of the Engineering Division. Oversees traffic engineering activities including conducting traffic engineering and transportation planning studies and preparing traffic control plans. Oversees development review, improvement plan and final map process including preparation of property/subdivision improvement agreements. Coordinates assigned activities and programs with other divisions, departments, and outside agencies. Provides complex technical and administrative support to the Public Works Director. This is an exempt, mid-management level position with direct management and supervisory responsibilities for the Engineering Division and assigned personnel. May act in the absence of or at the discretion of the Public Works Director as directed/authorized.
- Design and construct high-quality and sustainable City infrastructure and provide quality maintenance operations supporting the community’s health and safety through the operation of various divisions including streets, landscaping, land development, and City capital-related engineering.
- Provide City of Gilroy representation on Valley Transportation Authority subcommittees including CIP Working Group, Level of Service and Vehicle Miles Traveled Working Group, Land Use and Transportation, and Systems Operations & Management.
- Use cutting-edge technology such as the newly implemented Land Use Management System (LMS) - EnerGov.
- Present to the City Council, City Boards, and other commissions on proposed projects and improvements.
- Timely communication to inquiries from the media, citizens, community groups and organizations.
- Oversee and participate in the development and administration of the Engineering Division budget.
- Manage the assigned engineering activities and operations of the Engineering Division.
- Create and execute goals, prepare plans, provide policy recommendations for the department.
- Consult with developers, designers, and project engineers on various projects and plans for compliance with sound engineering practice and existing laws.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The next City Engineer/Transportation Engineer will be a visionary thinker, innovative, and inspiring with exceptional management, interpersonal, and communication skills. As the City Engineer/Transportation Engineer, it will be important to effectively lead in a dynamic environment. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience overseeing and managing CIP projects and timelines, overseeing land development, working with cutting-edge technology, have a desire to manage challenging and exciting projects, and thrive in a busy environment. The ideal candidate will support the director with engaging division employees to embrace the goals and workplans of the division and achieve results. Further, the ideal candidate will lead by example and serve as a coach and mentor to members of the Engineering Division team. As the City Engineer/Transportation Engineer you will bring extensive knowledge of current trends and best practices that impact and influence all aspects of transportation and municipal engineering, interact with the community, present at council, commission, and community meetings, and build relationships with neighboring agencies as the City of Gilroy is rapidly expanding.
The City of Gilroy is ideally situated in south Santa Clara County, 28 miles south of San Jose and 15 miles east of the Pacific Coastline. Gilroy has emerged as a thriving city of almost 60,000 residents, with a healthy economic base consisting of food processing, wine production and retail shopping outlets. Gilroy’s economy is diversified into nonagricultural commercial and industrial activities such as light manufacturing, wholesale operations, automobile sales, and large retail centers. The world-famous Silicon Valley, one of the world’s most enterprising and technologically advanced metropolitan areas, is located within a 1/2-hour drive north of the City. To learn more about the City of Gilroy, go to: https://www.cityofgilroy.org.
For more details about this opportunity, please visit the job brochure at: https://koffassociates.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/Rev1-Gilroy-CETE.pdf.
To be considered, please electronically submit your resume, cover letter and a list of five professional references (references will not be contacted in the early stages of the recruitment) to: https://koffassociates.com/city-engineer-transportation-engineer/.
Resumes should reflect years and months of positions held, as well as size of staff and budgets you have managed.
For additional information, please contact: