Sonoma County's Clerk-Recorder-Assessor-Registrar of Voter's Office seeks an experienced, collaborative leader to be the next Chief Appraiser.
Starting salary up to $60.45/hour ($126,166/year) plus a cash allowance of approximately $600/month*
Working at the County of Sonoma offers expansive opportunities for growth and development, the ability to be a part of a challenging and rewarding work environment, and the satisfaction of knowing you're working to better our communities. You can also look forward to a competitive, total compensation package* including:
- An annual Staff Development/Wellness Benefit allowance up to $1,700 and ongoing education/training opportunities
- Competitive vacation and sick leave accruals, 12 paid holidays, and an additional 8 floating holiday hours per year
- County paid premium contribution to several health plan options
- County contribution to a Health Reimbursement Arrangement to help fund post-retirement employee health insurance/benefits
- Retirement fully integrated with Social Security
- May be eligible for up to 8 weeks (320 hours) of Paid Parental Leave after 12 months of County employment
- Eligibility for a salary increase after 1,040 hours (6 months when working full-time) for good work performance; eligibility for a salary increase for good performance every year thereafter, until reaching the top of the salary range
When you join the County of Sonoma, you'll also have the freedom to explore the beauty of our county; with its picturesque coastline, majestic redwoods, historic towns, fine dining, award winning wineries, and a wide variety of entertainment and cultural activities. Please visit www.sonomacountyconnections.org and www.santarosachamber.com for additional information about the community.
About the Position
The Chief Appraiser directs and administers activities within the Clerk-Recorder-Assessor's Office Valuations Division which is responsible for appraising business, commercial, industrial, mining, rural, and residential properties. Responsibilities include directing a large staff in the appraisal of real and personal property for tax assessment purposes; analyzing and implementing new legislation; and representing the Assessor at meetings, speaking engagements, and in public contacts. Additionally, this position assists in the preparation of the Division's annual budget; and prepares, monitors, and analyzes management and statistical information and reports.
The ideal candidate for Chief Appraiser brings a proven record of successful leadership and possesses:
- An Advanced Appraiser certificate issued by the California State Board of Equalization
- An in-depth knowledge of modern valuation and assessment principles, practices, and techniques, and California property tax laws and administrative rules
- Extensive experience motivating successful teams in a public sector environment
- Experience overseeing assessment appeals and appeal presentations
- The ability to work collaboratively to analyze problems and identify resolutions
- An understanding of County governmental operations, policies, and procedures
Please note: The Board of Equalization (BOE) is responsible for the certification of state and county assessors' personnel performing appraisals for property tax purposes. Statutes require the BOE to certify Appraisers before they perform these duties. The certifications include an initial evaluation of the candidate's education and experience, and the successful completion of a qualifying examination. To meet the qualifications for this recruitment, candidates must fulfill the current BOE requirements. Please visit the BOE's website for the certification requirements: https://www.boe.ca.gov/proptaxes/pdf/lta15049.pdf.
*Salary is negotiable and benefits described herein do not represent a contract and may be changed without notice. For more info. & to apply online, visit www.yourpath2sonomacounty.org or call 707-565-2331. EOE Apply by 8/08/19