Assistant City Manager – Municipal Services
City of Sacramento, California
Annual Salary: $156,803.59 - $282,246.46 DOE/DOQ
The City of Sacramento is seeking a strong manager and a collaborative/innovative leader with well-honed executive leadership skills to serve as the Assistant City Manager (ACM) over Municipal Services, which includes the Departments of Public Works, Utilities, and Youth, Parks, & Community Enrichment as well as the Office of Climate Action and Sustainability. This leader will report to the City Manager while overseeing approximately five direct reports and 2,000 total staff, with several department budgets amounting to approximately $580 million. The ideal candidate will be politically savvy, communicative, and highly personable. They will ideally have experience managing utilities provision, public works, youth and recreation-related programming, homelessness services, and transportation. They also should possess a strong understanding of budgeting and funding.
The next ACM will uplift their team and find innovative ways to recruit and retain talented staff and celebrate their team’s efforts and accomplishments. They will be customer-service focused and champion efforts in the City’s Strategic Plan to provide exemplary services to community members and key partners. The ACM will be public facing, with strong public speaking skills and political acumen. This position requires extensive government experience at a senior level with a track record of working on complex policies, projects, and programs in a fast-paced environment. If you are a progressive leader with a strong commitment to public service, strong municipal government experience, and a true desire to contribute across various technical disciplines, apply now!
See the full recruitment brochure here: https://indd.adobe.com/view/9e2abdd8-51ae-431a-9a0f-8d7c9a0ad1ec
THE JOB / IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate will be employee-focused and customer-service-oriented. They will develop and implement solutions to recruit and retain talented staff and demonstrate uplifting leadership. The successful candidate will be a strategic thinker, strong communicator, and relationship builder. They will be politically savvy and talented at navigating challenging situations. The next ACM will be highly knowledgeable about homelessness, transportation, public works, and youth-related services and possess a true desire to contribute across various technical disciplines.
In addition to overseeing the municipal departments and the Office of Climate Action, this Assistant City Manager will strategically align progressive and innovative solutions within the City’s engineering, public works, and capital projects. They will oversee technical areas while driving change and lead various high-level initiatives. They will provide recommendations and advice to the City Manager, City governing bodies, committees, and department heads concerning pending and mandated legislation, planning, operational, fiscal, and personnel issues. Other core duties include addressing community inquiries, serving as a respectable City representative, negotiating agreements with outside parties, and formulating proposals for action.
- Any combination of education and experience that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- 7+ years of government senior management experience that included significant participation in budgetary development/administration, strategic planning, policy/procedure development/implementation, and personnel management, ideally gained in a large metropolitan jurisdiction (population 200,000+).
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in business, public administration, or a related field.
- Possession of a valid California Class C Driver’s License. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to a physical disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- 3 years of experience as a city department head with full executive responsibility for budgeting, strategic planning, policy/procedure development/implementation, and personnel management.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
- Master’s degree with specialization in business, public administration, or a related field.
Annual Salary of $156,803.59 - $282,246.46 DOE/DOQ and an attractive benefits package
HOW TO APPLY:
For first consideration, apply by Jan. 5, 2023, at: https://wbcpinc.com/job-board
SECURE THE DATES:
The first round of interviews will be held virtually via Zoom on Jan. 18, 2023. The second round of interviews will be held in person on Jan. 27. Candidates invited to interview will need to be available for both days.
Please contact your recruiter, Sam Sackman, with any questions:
The City of Sacramento is an equal opportunity employer encouraging workforce diversity. Applicants can learn more about the City’s current diversity, equity, and inclusion priorities and initiatives here.
- 541-630-0657 (direct)
- 866-929-9227 (toll-free)