Manager – Assistant Building Official is a management position. This position provides highly technical work in reviewing all types of construction drawings, plans, and specifications to ensure compliance with applicable state codes and local ordinances. The ideal candidate must have experience and skills as a working manager in plan check, permitting, inspection, and code enforcement; and possess strengths in communication, public relations, and customer service. This candidate will assist the Building Official in overseeing the plan review staff, inspection staff, and the permit technicians. He or she will provide expert professional and technical assistance to the department and may supervise lower-level staff.
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist the Chief Building Official with day-to-day operations.
- Examine and review plans and specifications submitted for residential tracts, multi-unit residential, and commercial and industrial buildings for compliance with codes, ordinances, and other applicable regulations.
- Review plans and calculations to ensure appropriate use of materials and construction installations.
- Perform field inspections and assist field inspectors and other staff with complex or unusual requirements for residential and other structures.
- Prepare and maintain files, reports, and records of activities and procedures.
- Assist at the public counter in calculating fees, issuing permits, and dispensing general and technical information.
- Provide training to Building & Safety staff.
- Answer questions from homeowners, architects, engineers, contractors, and the general public regarding the City's policies and procedures, related codes, ordinances and regulations.
- Coordinate with other City departments, divisions, and outside regulatory agencies.
- Perform preliminary design review and similar tasks as a Building & Safety representative on the Development Review Committee as needed.
- Supervise, train, mentor, and evaluate assigned plan check and permit issuance staff.
- Assist in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, procedures, work standards and budget for the department.
- Represent the City in meetings with representatives of government agencies, architects, engineers, contractors, developers, property and business owners, and the public as needed.
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other City employees, the development community and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Other duties as assigned.
For more information and to apply, click visit www.cityoflancasterca.org