View the job flyer here
For a full job description and to apply, please visit www.governmentjobs.com/careers/mendocinoca
Salary: $138,673.60 - $168,833.60 Annually plus department head benefits package
Open until filled - first screening February 6, 2023
The Director of Public Health leads a team of individuals dedicated to Public Health Prevention, Public Health Nursing, and Environmental Health. The department also oversees the Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Program, and Quality Improvement/Accreditation. This at-will, department head class is appointed by and reports to the County’s Chief Executive Officer and is responsible for the direction and management of the County’s Public Health Department and all associated operations through staff management including planning, organizing, and directing the operations of the department. The incumbent is accountable for planning and accomplishing the long and short-term strategies, operational goals and objectives, and for furthering County goals and objectives within general policy guidelines. Successful performance of the work requires advanced knowledge of public policy, fiscal management, County functions and activities, and the ability to develop, oversee, and implement projects and programs in a variety of areas.
This position operates with considerable autonomy requiring a high level of initiative, judgment, discretion, and the ability to make independent decisions in recommending, implementing and administrating the operations of the department and the County’s public health programs and services.
The Ideal Candidate
The County seeks a professional with a background in Public Health, including management experience. The ideal candidate will possess knowledge of Public Health services and programs, including delivery models and systems and applicable state, federal and local ordinances, laws, rules and regulations. The ideal candidate is an innovate self-starter who is committed to positive social change, both within the workplace and throughout the community. They will have skill in short-term and long-range systems planning and needs forecasting in all aspects of the department, and the ability to apply principles of leadership, motivation, team building and conflict resolution.
Any combination of the higher education, experience and or training that would provide the opportunity to acquire the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed.
Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university with major coursework in public administration, public health, health science, health administration, sociology, psychology, behavioral sciences, or a closely related field; and six (6) years of full-time supervisory or managerial experience in a public health or similar setting, which included program planning, development, and administration. A master's degree in public health is highly desired.
Licenses and Certifications: Valid Driver’s License
Salary & Benefits
The salary range for this position is $137,904 - $167,606 annually, with appointment at a step in the range dependent upon qualifications. The County provides a department head benefits package, which includes:
- Retirement benefits provided under the 1937 Act and enrollment in Social Security. For more information, contact the Retirement Administrator at 707-463-4328. Participation in a 457 deferred compensation plan with up to 4% of salary contribution matched by the County.
- Longevity increase after five (5) years at Step 5 (or a flat rate salary) and upon each five (5) year anniversary thereafter. The increase shall be 2½% for each five-year period.
- $1,500 per fiscal year for education, training, and wellness expenses.
- County pays 75% of Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance coverage for employees and their dependents.
- $50,000 group life insurance policy and $50,000 AD&D.
- 11 paid holidays.
- 48 hours of paid management leave.
- Paid vacation beginning with two weeks, increasing periodically to five weeks after 15 years of service.
- Sick leave accrual at 15 days per year.
- County-funded extended disability.
- Voluntary election of an automobile allowance of $250 per month.
This recruitment will remain Open Until Filled, with the first screening on February 6, 2023. To be considered for the position, please submit a completed County application and resume through the County’s website at www.governmentjobs.com/careers/mendocinoca.
Human Resources Department
County of Mendocino
501 Low Gap Road, Room 1326
Ukiah, CA 95482
E-mail questions to: Mendocinocountyneogov@mendocinocounty.org