In Orange County, 86 Candidates Run Unopposed for Local Office
Scores of candidates running for elected office in Orange County this November are guaranteed to win their seats because they face no opposition. Nearly a quarter of them are newcomers who have never been elected by voters. And, in a number of races, their automatic victories will determine controlling majorities.
According to Voice of OC, controlling majorities will be ushered in without opposition for the Dana Point City Council, as well as the Anaheim Elementary, Buena Park, Laguna Beach Unified, and Westminster school boards.
Dana Point has three city council seats up for election this November, and each of them only have one challenger. Just one of those unopposed candidates is an elected incumbent.
“I think it’s too bad for the voters, because those candidates aren’t likely to appear at forums, aren’t likely to hear from people,” Jodi Balma, political science professor at Fullerton College, told Voice of OC.
Below is a list of unopposed candidates running in Orange County who are not elected incumbents:
· John Gabbard, Dana Point City Council, District 1
· Matthew Pagano, Dana Point City Council, District 2
· Meghan Willis, Huntington Beach City School District Trustee, District 2
· Jeff Kim, Irvine Unified School District Trustee, District 4
· Joan Malczewski, Laguna Beach Unified School District Trustee
· Annie S. Warne, Magnolia School District Trustee, District 5
· Hector Bustos, Santa Ana Unified School District Trustee, District 5
· Gay Zambrano, Savanna School District Trustee, District 1
· Daisy Xuanha Tong, Rancho Santiago Community College District Trustee, District 4
· Felicia A. Lurner, Capistrano Bay Community Services District
· Ross Misher, Capistrano Bay Community Services District
· Linda Garofalo, Surfside Colony Community Services District
· Peter Barker, Three Arch Bay Community Services District
· Marilyn Tatum Thoms, East Orange County Water District, District 2
· John Stea, Rossmoor/Los Alamitos Area Sewer District
· Dean Grose, Rossmoor/Los Alamitos Area Sewer District
· Laura Freese, Santa Margarita Water District
· Joseph L. Muller, South Coast Water District, District 1
· Eric Springer, Sunset Colony Storm/Water Protection District
· Brenda Estrada, Buena Park Library District, District 2
· Scott W. Nelson, Placentia Library District
· Stephanie L. Beverage, Placentia Library District
· Hilllard Kaplan, Santiago Geologic Hazard Abatement District
· Yaacov Haas, Santiago Geologic Hazard Abatement District