'Three Californias' Struck From November Ballot
A ballot measure aimed at dividing California into three separate states must be removed from the November ballot following a ruling by the California Supreme Court.
“Because significant questions have been raised regarding the proposition's validity, and because we conclude that the potential harm in permitting the measure to remain on the ballot outweighs the potential harm in delaying the proposition to a future election, respondent Alex Padilla, as Secretary of State of the State of California, is directed to refrain from placing Proposition 9 on the November 6, 2018, ballot,” the Court said Wednesday.
Additionally, the Court said it will weigh in on the measure’s constitutionality at a later date.
The so-called Three Californias or Cal 3 initiative was certified for the November ballot last month. But opponents argued it called for a de facto revision of the state’s Constitution. Such changes cannot be made through a ballot measure or simple majority vote.
“Proposition 9 was a costly, flawed scheme that will waste billions of California taxpayer dollars, create chaos in public services including safeguarding our environment and literally eliminate the state of California — all to satisfy the whims of one billionaire,” said Howard Penn of the Planning and Conservation League, which opposed the measure.
Silicon Valley venture capitalist Tim Draper, who spent $1.2 million promoting the measure, called the Court’s ruling evidence of “corruption” befitting a Third World country.